Thursday, April 23, 2009

Brazil's Piraha Tribe: Keeping it Short and Sweet

Imagine living in a world without history or a concept of numbers. Imagine living in a world without the use of dependent clauses, but instead, only short and stubby independent clauses. For Brazil's Piraha Tribe, this is not imaginary--it is reality. This phenomenon has the whole linguistic world abuzz; causing debate on the effects this language has on its people. Of all of the linguistic scholars, however, none other can claim as high a level of expertise as Britian's Daniel Everett. Since 1977, Everett has spent a combined total of over seven years living with and studying the people of the Piraha Tribe. Some of his findings have been both facinating, and above all, shocking.

The first abnormality Everett noticed about the Pirahan language was the lack of the subordinate clause. Little description is ever given in a sentence, thus, there is no need for the dependent clause. In America, if one would like to speak to another once he himself had finished eating, he might say, "When I have finished my meal, I would like to speak with you." In the Pirahan Tribe, however, Everett says that they would simply say, "I finish eating, I speak with you."

Just as baffling to Everett was the complete lack of numbers in their society. They base their count on either "a lot" or "a little"--using concepts of "all," "most," and "every." They do not have a words to describe a specified amount, but they do not count anyway according to Everett. This has led to the belief that they lack to concept of exact numbers all together. To test this, Everett tried to teach them Portugese numbers. After several months, not a single person could count to ten.

What has Everett concluded thus far? "The language is created by the culture," he says. He goes on to explain that they live in a carpe diem society, where the only thing that matters is the here and now. This also goes along with the tribe's theological views. When asked about a diety, they simply respond with, "everything is the same, things always are." However they may be seen by the world, they could not care less. They just continue to live day by day on their own, simple terms.

How do you view this language? Do you think they are too simple or that the rest of the world is too complex? Do you think their system poses any problems for them?

12 comments:

laranp said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
laranp said...

Wow, this seems like such a different world that we live in. You would not think that such a tribe would exist with the technologies here today. Having no knowledge of numbers or subordinate clauses, or believe in a higher being, is just interesting to me. It seems to me like in some way they live a very simple life. Its gets to the point, no extra routes are taken to the path they want to follow. They live in the here and now. I just think that is so fascinating. I think living in a world like that would make my life a lot simpler.

JLBond said...

I could not believe this when I read it. Have these people been hide from the rest of the world. Their sentence structure makes me think of my 2 year old. It takes time to learn new things. She doesn't simply pick up a whole new set of words everyday, it takes time. The same is true of these people. Someone cannot go into their society and expect them to immediately start learning everything they are trying to teach them. They are set in their ways and quite possibly they think we are wrong with how we do things. Maybe if we lived day to day we would be happier rather than worrying so much about what the future holds or what we should have done the day before.

Emilie said...

It's hard to believe that there is a tribe out there, that lives a completly different life style than we do. In some aspects of this article I think wow, it would be nice to not have to worry how perfect your speech is, or to just not care if you have done something out of the ordinary. But then again I think, how in the world could you live in this world that is so different, it would be hard for someone in this tribe to come to America and live the life that they have been living and be able to communicate correctly. How would you give somebody directions to somewhere without using any numbers?

Nadia said...

The Piraha Tribe seems to have an effective way of communicating with one another. If it works for them, I think that should definitely be considered a language, regardless of how different it is from proper English.
The only issues I see the Piraha Tribe having deal with conversing with proper speaking individuals. Of course, the basic premise of the conversation would be recognized, however, it would be abrupt and at times confusing.

Lauryn said...

This this was astonishing, it is so difficult to believe that people can communicate that way. However if it works for them who am I to stop it? And if someone were to go into that society and immediately pick up that language fit in right away, they would be wrong. It's hard to pick up a life style especially like that. I sometimes am jealous of the lifestyle; they would be nice, it would be simple, and one wouldn't have to worry about such idiotic things such as we do here. (it would be the same for these people too, they would have a very hard time fitting in, in our society) and I dont' expect them too either.

Henry said...

I personally envy these people. I think that it is amazing that they do not care what the rest of the world thinks and that they do things their own way. I really think that we could learn something from them. We do not need all of the technology that our world is becoming more and more reliant upon; instead, I think that in some cases computers are a hindrance and a danger. I say a hindrance because it is not always easy to access them and therefore it complicates matters for some people who are told they have to use computers in order to fill out paper work or forms etc. I also feel it is a danger because hackers have everyone's information at their fingertips now because everything is going online. I think this simple way of life would be a great escape from the harsh, complex, reality that many of our lives have become.

SARAC said...

It's hard for me to imagine people being able to communicate as the Piraha do. Their language and culture has survived intact for so long, and they show no need for a change in lifestyle. Even more amazing to me is that they have no concept of numbers. Even after months of being taught to count to 10, none of the tribe could begin to understand the concept. Yet they survive in conditions most of us could not! Maybe we should learn some of their secrets.

Adam Chadderton said...

The concept of forming a language around the culture seems to be a new idea. In America, the way we raise children seems to revolve around our preconceived notions of language. The short, simple language of the Piraha tribe focuses only on the bare necessities and leaves out any words that don't directly convey the message. It is interesting to view the ways other cultures have developed their language apart from the way we as westerners have developed ours.

Julia Longueville said...

While this simple lifestyle seems enviable on some aspects, I am glad that I do not live in this culture! We have all the words and ways of using them that we do so we can create beautiful pieces of literature and describe our feelings and the world in so many different ways. Of course, this works for them and I do not think it is anybody's place to change that, but I am happy to have a large vocabulary that has the potential of expanding everyday. The more ways you have of communicating, the more successful you can be at ultimate understanding.

dhowell said...

I believe everyone has their own language, so it does not suprise me that the Piraha tribe speaks their own way. However, it would be strange for me to listen to a conversation from a member of this tribe without the use of certain words. I believe it is like any other language, the more one practices a certain language the better he/she gets at it. I think it is truly interesting that this tribe has developed their own way of speaking. Whatever seems to work for them is all that really matters.

Jacqueline Bessette said...

I for one am jealous. I wish that my life was that simple. I wish that I could live somewhere where only today mattered and not the future. I think their outlook is refreshing and probably very stress-free. I love the idea that there are still places out there that are not part of this technologically driven, fast-paced world. I hope that this tribe stays untouched and is able to keep their unique culture. It would be a shame to not have places like this in the world.