Tuesday, March 17, 2009

TXTNG: the gr8 db8.

Texting has several unique features that attract users of all ages. David Crystal identifies six of these traits in his chapter entitled, "What makes texting so distinctive?" from his book, TXTNG: The Gr8 Db8. These include: pictograms and logograms, initialisms, omitted letters, nonstandard spellings, shortenings, and genuine novelties.

1) Pictograms and logograms are the most noticeable features in texting. Logograms can be used either alone or in combination with other letters and/or words.
Examples of logograms:
b = be
2 = to/two/too
@ = at
b4 = before
2day = today

When visual shape is what matters, graphic devices called emoticons are used. These are normally used to represent pictures and faces through texts. If this is the case, they are known as pictograms. Several hundred emoticons exist, however only a select few are used regularly.
Examples: :), :(, :P, ;), etc.

2) Initialisms are often called acronyms, like NATO or BBC. With text messaging, everyday words are shortened for quick communication. Initials are used for single words, compounded words, phrases, and even whole sentences.

Examples for single words: n = no, w = with, y = yes
Examples for compounded words: gf = girlfriend, dl = download
Examples for phrases: np = no problem, ftf = face to face
Examples for whole sentences: cmb = call me back, swdyt = so what do you think

3) Omitted letters are less noticeable than intialisms, but are far more common. Normally, the letters dropped are vowels. This feature is altered quite often. It changes with every person who texts, and there are sometimes more than one version of a word.

Examples: msg = message, fwd = forward, btwn = between, 2nite, 2nt, tnight = tonight

4) Nonstandard spellings occur, both intentionally and unknowingly. Regardless of whether or not the person texting knows how to spell correctly, he/she may still spell a word wrong. The reasons for this vary upon the user. Some nonstandard spellings are used so often, they have been given entires in the Oxford English Dictionary.

Examples of nonstandard spellings are easy to spot: cos, cuz = because, luv = love, skool = school, thanx = thanks

5) Shortenings occur when a word is reduced by omitting an important component. This can happen either at the end or the beginning of a word. There have been shortenings recorded in history books dating back to the origin of writing. Many words have become used as everyday terms themselves.

Examples of shortenings: prob = probably, approx = approximately, exam = examination, fridge = refrigerator

6) A genuine novelty is made within texting when language play has improved or increased. All of the six distinct features of texting can be juxtaposed. This allows for a vast array of word and sentence combinations. However, novelties are not used often. It solely depends on the person utilizing texting, and whether or not he/she is conservative or innovative
Example of a novelty: iydkidkwd = if you don't know, I don't know who does

Personally, I use texting on a daily basis. However, I only use three of the six traits featured in this chapter (logograms, initialisms, and shortenings).

How often do you text? Do you use any of the six mentioned characteristics of texting? Should there be any additional attributes added to these six?

12 comments:

JLBond said...

Texting is becoming a major issue in schools and I can see why. I have a 13 year old sister who is constantly text. I often have to ask her what something means even though I also use "Internet lingo". I have noticed that since I got a phone with a actual keyboard on it that I don't seem to us shorten words as much. So maybe as technology progresses we can eliminate Internet lingo.

SARAC said...

I don't usually text, but when I do I tend to use the regular words instead of texting lingo. This is just a personal preference, since I feel that using the lingo would make me look ignorant of grammatical rules. At what cost does this come to the school-age children who tend to be fluent in internet lingo? I worry about the extent that using this lingo interferes with education.

Adam Chadderton said...

I believe I send less text messages compared to others in my generation. Personally, I try to avoid nonstandard spellings, omitted letters and shortenings. I tend to think that the correct grammar is well worth the extra time it takes to type the extra characters.

Admittedly, I am guilty of using some of the more well known acronyms. Some words that have spawned from text messaging such as 'lol' are international and are understood by people who speak many different languages.

JuliaLongueville said...

I do text quite often and have, in fact, used each one of the six different ways. I find the use of these inventive and efficient and have no shame in using them. I believe that people of my age are a unique group of texters, seeing as we were not introduced to it until after junior high or so. We had already been taught grammar and proper language usage without the distraction of texting. Texting lingo was added to our pre-existing way of writing, not vice versa. I think that children these days have to be taught grammar a little bit harder in order to break the habits they have formed. Otherwise, they will continue on believing that text lingo is appropriate.

Emilie said...

I LOVE TEXT MESSAGING!!! :) I text pretty much everyday all day. I would much rather send one of my friends a quick text then calling him or her and having a 20 minute conversation!! It is a much faster way to communicate, I don't see it much different than e-mailing. When people e-mail friends they tend to shorten words, and don't pay too much attention to sentence structure. I use all six of these attributes, and I love the faces! :) (as you can tell)

Anonymous said...

Ever since I have gotten my first cell phone I have been texting. It is such a good way of communicating quickly with someone without the necessity of having to call. When I text someone, I tend to spell out the entire word. I have a QWERTY keyboard cell phone, which means it looks just like a regular computer keyboard. But in the off chance that I do use texting lingo, I mainly use the "shorting" of words.
-Lara Nederveen Pieterse

Henry said...

I am a frequent text messenger. I really developed a problem for a couple of months after i first came back to college with typing things out rather quickly for papers and then noticing text lingo. I also at the time used instant messaging frequently. I do not use instant messaging anymore. After disciplining myself to painstakingly pound out the words in a text message to full length and then use proper punctuation as well I noticed my grammar skills were no longer affected by text messaging. I feel that while text messaging is a barrier in some cases it is easily overcome by a student with a strong will to succeed.

Romona Jackson said...

Wow, It is like a whole new world. The world of texting. I think texting is a awesome way of communicating, well for the people who understand the different meanings. I do text, and I believe is it wonderful. I do not use much of the lingo, heck I don't understand most of it. Texting is major, it seems as though children are being born with this texting information. I am still trying to keep up. I think this is a good post Nadia, you explained the information very well.

Jacqueline Bessette said...

I prefer to text than to talk on the phone, so I text pretty often. However, I do not use many of the texting characteristics. I use logograms, omitted letters, and shortenings. The reason for these characteristics is so that texting can be fast and convenient. No one would want to type out every letter; it's too time consuming. I do not think these characteristics will ever go away for this reason. At least, I hope not.

dhowell said...

I often use texting. When I do text, I generally use texting lingo, because it tends to be a faster way of getting my message across, instead of chatting with someone for several minutes. However, I only use such lingo on my cell phone. I believe correct grammar is important in everyday use. Without proper grammar usage in schools, I feel that it would be hard to efficiently learn correct grammar. In my opinion, when someone uses texting over and over during long periods of time, it tends to interfere with what is actually correct.

soko13 said...

The introduction of text messaging has made the speed of conversations and messages much faster. I believe that the "internet lingo" help with the speed and should be used. The text messages is the most informal way to communicate and until it becomes more formal then any lingo used should be. If the parties communicating understand each other then there is no problem with it in my eyes. I the lingo should be taught to explain what these acronyms are, not how to used them in a sentence. I think that the younger generations will be text messaging much more in the future and coming up with their own acronyms and lingo.

Meg said...

I text all the time. I try not to let it show in my school work but sometimes I do it without noticing. I have noticed in the papers I review while I tutor also. It is difficult growing up at a time where technology and cell phones are what we most rely on. Focusing on what is appropriate in school work is key. Proff reading is just one of the many ways to help correct this problem.